Thursday, February 25, 2016

Author Spotlight K.L. Shandwick



Interview:
1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 
I hadn’t planned to write anything. I was challenged by a friend to write a chapter as if it were a book and the Everything trilogy happened from that.
2. How long does it take you to write a book? 
Depends on the book and what is going on in my daily life but somewhere between three and six weeks is normal. My books are all around 100k so not little books.
3. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I set myself deadlines and work to those. I also have to factor in when editors are available and work to their timescales as well. I write anywhere and everywhere and I make time to write every day, even if it is only a few hundred works, both from the perspective of consistency of the story and keeping myself in the character’s mindsets.
4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I write a lot in the car when my husband is driving. If we have to go on a long journey I write in the back seat of the car.
5. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
From past experience, (not the sex scenes, but the relationship aspects of my books. I’ve been working with people for a long time in my day job and have been privy to a lot of women in vulnerable situations. I also worked with bands as a merchandizer so some of what I write comes loosely from a snapshot of something I’ve seen then I use poetic license to embellish it. The rest comes from my imagination. My vivid imagination. I do research some aspects of my book content also.
6. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
2 years ago I wrote my first book and let’s just say I am a mature lady with grown up children and leave it at that!!
7. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I enjoy going to watch live music and following bands, socializing with friends and travelling. I used to ski a lot and I miss that but my schedule hasn’t allowed me to do that lately.
8. What does your family think of your writing?
At first they thought I’d gone mad, but they are accepting that it is an art form now and a way of escapism for me. I hadn’t told anyone for a long time, however as I began to do it more seriously I had to come clean because I’d have hated them to find out from someone else. Now, they are very supportive. My husband is even my assistant at most of my signings.
9. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
That people liked to read them and the way my following have taken the characters I created to their hearts. It’s weird when someone says “I knew someone just like Jack,” “I’m in love with your fictional character,” others talk about them as if they are real people.
10. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’m just about to release my nineth, Ready For Flynn and I think that is my favorite along with Everything I Want. Everything I Want because it was the conclusion to my first set of books and I liked that I spent the time wrapping that story up without rushing it. Ready For Flynn because I think I’ve grown as a writer with this one and I like that my heroine is strong.
11. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Observe, read, reread your work after a break, you’ll see things you never saw at the time. Write from the heart. Don’t compromise because you think someone won’t like what you’ve written and stay true to the characters. Never stop learning.
12. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
Yes I hear from them all the time and some of them are active in my hang out room. I do some live writing for them using the characters from my books and we have a lot of fun with that. They give me a couple of the characters and the scenario and I write a short scene in around ten minutes for them. Sometimes they want to find out what would happen in particular situations for the characters and this can feed the thirst for some of the characters they’ve enjoyed. I also get messages in my inbox from readers telling me how they felt about the book they read and I answer all of those too. I have a strong small following and I am interactive with them all the time.
13. Do you like to create books for adults?
Yes. My books are contemporary rock romance with mature content. They are definitely 18+ reads.
14. What do you think makes a good story?
One that gives background context, good character development, and unrushed story that is allowed to unfold with a few unexpected and emotional events that the readers. To my mind they should have realism in the characters but as it’s fiction I believe that as I write about rock stars who have had extra- ordinary lives the story can sometimes reflect that.
15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
A midwife or like most little girls, an airhostess. I achieved the first wink emoticon
Bio:


Writing came relatively late in life for KL after a challenge by a friend led to The Everything Trilogy. She loves creating new characters and story lines. KL has worked in the health and social care sector for most of her adult life, so to have the opportunity to step out of serious roles and create colourful characters is very rewarding. She enjoys where they take her and each character has his or her own voice. KL doesn't use prepared outlines for her stories, preferring the characters to take their own direction as the story progresses.
STALKER LINKS

FURTHER BOOKS BY KL SHANDWICK
If you’d like to browse the other Rock Romance novels written by KL please feel free to visit her Amazon page, while you are there, how about clicking that follow button.


No comments:

Post a Comment