Friday, March 4, 2016

Spotlight on Author Jaime Whitley



Author Jaime Whitley

Interview:

1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I always had a love for writing deep down. It guess you can say it was always about finding the time in my life to take the leap and start my journey.

2. How long does it take you to write a book?
I wish I could say seven days. Wouldn’t that be great?! Honestly, it all depends on what life has going on at the moment. Being a mom and wife always comes first and I don’t have the most normal schedule being a military spouse. So with that said, I wrote Twist of Fate in thirty days and Dante’s Redemption in a little under forty. Ava’s Revenge took me longer since my husband was deployed at the time. So it’s really all about what’s going on at the time. Having two kids under the age of four, definitely keeps you busy.

3.What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
SILENT. I usually stay locked away in a room in my house or at my neighbors house while he’s at work. I take my hat off to the other authors that can write an entire book while listening to music. I can listen to a song to get me into a scene, but that’s it. I get distracted way too easily and just can’t concentrate with music playing. If I go to a coffee shop, I end up talking or people watching so that doesn’t work for me either. I try not to word counts as goals and set up chapter goals instead. I go into the day with an idea of how many chapters I want to get done that day and go to work.

4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don’t think I have one. Does that make me boring? LOL

5. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
I like to do as much research as I can. Although it’s fiction I like to do my research. Luckily, I have a lot of family and friends in the military, law enforcement and medicine so those areas are easy for me to write about. I research everything. I will never just assume something and put it in my book. That’s a pet peeve of mine. As for idea’s, it’s really just whatever pops in my head. Random ideas just come and go and I think, that would be a great book and some not so much.

6. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
June 2014, and I published it in July 2014 and I was Twenty Nine years old.

7. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love to spend time with my husband and children. I also enjoy reading and spending time with our friends and listening to good music and being outdoors.

8. What does your family think of your writing?
They have been nothing but supportive since the very beginning. I couldn’t have asked for a better family.

9. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
The amount of support my husband gives me. LOL Seriously though, he comes home from work, grabs the kids and encourages me to write. After a long day of being at work, you would think he would want nothing more than to relax with his family. He really is amazing when it comes to my writing.

10. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
Five books in total. It’s so hard to pick a favorite. I would say Twist of Fate because it is my baby but I also love Levels because it was stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something totally new.

11. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Make sure you have thick skin. People can be cruel in the book world. You have to remember not everyone is going to love your work and that’s okay. I don’t love everything I read. Everyone has different taste and that’s totally okay. People can forget to be kind to one and other from time to time and you shouldn’t let that discourage you. Do what you love because you love it and don’t let anyone tell you can’t do something. As long as you believe in yourself that’s all you need.

12. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I hear from my readers all the time. I LOVE talking to my readers. When I get messages as they are reading my books is probably my favorite messages. I laugh and get angry with them as they read along and it’s just so great to be there for them and be able to connect with them. As for what they say…. I’ve been told, I’m evil for making them ugly cry, I better get book two out asap, It can’t end like that! And a bunch of other fun stuff.

13. Do you like to create books for adults?
All my books are for adults so I would say so LOL.

14. What do you think makes a good story?
You have to have a good twist. It doesn’t have to be something bad, it can be something totally amazing, but there has to be something, something that gives the story that life changing moment for the characters. That this changes everything moment. Because to me, without that moment in the story, what are they fighting for?

15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be a veterinarian for the longest time. I can’t quite remember what age that dream went away but eventually it did and here I am living a perfect life I never dreamed of but wouldn’t change for the world. I have a beautiful family and a bunch of love stories waiting to be told.

Bio:
Jaime Nicole Whitley is a wife and a stay at home mom to her two children. She grew up in New Jersey where she continued her education and became a medical assistant. She now lives in North Carolina where her husband is stationed with the Army.

Stalker links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJaimeWhitley
Twitter: @jaimers0327
https://plus.google.com/+jaimewhitley/about(LINE)
Website: http://authorjaimewhitley.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment