Friday, January 29, 2016

Author Spotlight: Dawn Sullivan



Interview:
1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 
I have always had a story or ten running around in my head. Even when I was a child, I would make up stories, pretending I was the main character in them, normally kicking ass and falling in love.
2. How long does it take you to write a book?
It just depends on if my characters are talking. Sometimes it takes a couple of months, sometimes a year. I also write several books at once, so it can take longer when I am jumping back and forth before I pick one story and run with it.
3. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I have a full time job, a hubby, and three beautiful children, which makes finding time to write difficult at times. Normally I work during the day, spend time with my family afterwards, and write late into the night.
4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I have notebooks for every book I write…that’s a lot of notebooks because as soon as I know a character will have their own story in the future, I start a notebook for them.
5. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
I always have some character wanting their own story, and my active imagination comes up with one for them.
6. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
Even though I have always had stories running through my head, I had never actually written any of them down until Nico’s Heart. That was just a couple of years ago.
7. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Read, watch NCIS, spend time with the family. I really don’t have a lot of free time.
8. What does your family think of your writing?
They are all very supportive. My mother reads everything I write, and she has her friends at work hooked on my RARE Series. Some of my aunts and cousins read all of my books as well. My husband has always been one of my biggest supporters. I am very blessed to have him by my side through this journey.
9. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
Nothing too surprising just yet, except that I can write a book without action, suspense, and sex. I was a bit worried when I started my first Christian Romance, but the words flowed just as easily for that sweet romance as they do for my cowboys and shifters.
10. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I now have eight books out, seven under Dawn and a Christian Romance under a pen name.
11. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
What I tell everyone is always follow your dreams. Believe in yourself as you will go far. Actual suggestions to becoming a better writer-I would have to say to make sure you do your research. Yes, we write fiction, but there are some things that you need to make sure you follow up on before you publish. Editing is also very important, but above all else, have fun!
12. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I do, and I love it! They message me to tell me how much they enjoyed one of my series, and it seriously makes my day. I have several who have actually become good friends after contacting me.
13. Do you like to create books for adults?
I love it! I love to spin a tale and I never know going into writing a new book, exactly what the outcome is going to be. I may have an idea, but my characters can take me to a totally different direction than I originally thought I was going. It’s a lot of fun, and I don’t ever see myself stopping. I have several characters out there that need their own happily ever after.
14. What do you think makes a good story?
There are so many things that make a good story, and the answer is probably different for everyone. I love a lot of action and suspense in mine. I like to read a book that keeps me guessing and enthralled the whole time. I also love romance. If a book doesn’t have at least a hint of romance in it, I normally won’t read it.
15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be a teacher. One of my aunts is a teacher and is a huge inspiration to many of her students. I have always admired her, and I wanted to teach and help children the way she does.
Bio:
I have a wonderful, supportive husband and three beautiful children. I enjoy spending time with all of them which normally involves some baseball, shooting hoops, taking walks, watching movies, and of course reading.
My passion for reading began at a very young age and only grew over time. Whether I was bringing home a book from the library, or sneaking one of my mom's romance novels and reading by the light in the hallway when we were supposed to be sleeping, I always had a book.
I read several different genres and subgenres, but Paranormal Romance and Romantic Suspense have always been my favorites. I read anything by Katie Reus, Lora Leigh, J.R. Ward and Rebecca Zanetti.
I have always made up my own stories, and have just recently decided to start sharing them. I hope everyone enjoys reading them as much as I enjoy writing them.

Stalker Links:( Because she loves to be stalked)


Book Links:



          

No comments:

Post a Comment