Saturday, January 16, 2016

Author Spotlight: Haley Despard

Our next author spotlight is Haley Despard..




Interview:

1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I was 14 when I started writing creatively for an English class and realized I loved it.
2. How long does it take you to write a book?
Several months. I’m very particular about the details.
3. What is your work schedule like when you're writing? Whenever I can squeeze it in. Being a mother of a small child and being in college makes my schedule very interesting.
4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? Writing out my outlines, etc. on notebook paper helps me sort things out, but I do all my writing in Word.
5. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? Mainly from personal inspiration, imagination, and the internet.
6. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I wrote a novella when I was 19.
7. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I am very into graphic design, photography, music, and Netflix marathons.
8. What does your family think of your writing?
This is a bit of a loaded question for me… Let’s just say we agree to disagree on some things.
9. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
There are boundaries even for rule-breakers like me.
10. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? So far I’ve only written one full-fledged book. Blame that on perfectionism. I’m working hard on changing that, though.
11. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Let loose and don’t worry about conforming to people’s expectations. A true creative innovates and thinks outside the box.
12. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
Sometimes I’ll hear things like, “When is book 2 coming out?” “Can I read the first chapter?” “Are you still writing?” And I’m like, “We’ll get there when we get there.”
13. Do you like to create books for adults? Yes. That is my next goal. NA is my preferred genre for adult writing.
14. What do you think makes a good story?
Something that surprises me in a really great way. Something that makes me think. Something that stays with me long after the book is over.
15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? Everything under the sun. My career goals changed monthly. That unfortunately continued into adulthood.
Thanks for having me!

Bio:

Haley Despard was born and raised in small, yet ever-expanding Simpsonville, South Carolina. She discovered a love of writing at age fourteen and hasn't been able to turn off the motor fingers since then. Today she lives just a stone's throw over in the country side of Greer, SC with her husband, son, and Boston Terrier. Her hobbies include amateur photography, designing teaser graphics for her novels, and composing piano music.

Haley's current project is a YA Contemporary Fiction series, but she also loves writing fantasy, romance, and occasionally horror fiction. Defying standards and norms and thinking outside the box is Haley's strong suit, and she plans to write something that makes it big someday. Until then, she's content with her growing author family and a head full of ideas.

Don't hesitate to contact her at hdespardauthor@outlook.com. Haley loves interacting with readers and other authors.

https://www.facebook.com/haleydespard/?fref=ts






No comments:

Post a Comment