Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Spotlight: Author Sheri Lyn

This spotlight is one Sheri Lyn who is more of a new comer to us as she only has one book that is released but she is working on more read her interview and find out more about Sheri Lyn.





Interview:
1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
It wasn’t something I ever really thought about to be honest. I used to write stories in school for projects and have always had a vivid imagination. To actually be a writer, no that wasn’t in the cards. To be honest I never thought about the future and what I wanted to be. My focus was on that day. Most days it took all I had to get through it.
2. How long does it take you to write a book?
Three to four months depending on how busy life get’s. On a good day I can write 3k to 4k words, on a bad day I play on facebook or Netflix all day.
3. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
During the week its at night after work and kickboxing. I can squeeze in an hour or two on a good night. The weekends I can go for hours and write all day. It really varies on what is going on at the moment. I don’t have a set schedule really.
4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Interesting…..not sure I have one. I have to write in the quiet and I stop frequently because my dog is always nudging me for attention.
Oh, I guess one thing would be that I only reread my story as needed for edits, once it’s written I don’t read it again. Makes me feel self-conscious.
5. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Safe Haven came from a dream of a boy standing in his kitchen and he turns to me and asks why his mother hates him.
Other stories come from snippets of text I see, or an interesting picture and sometimes just from a family member saying “hey write me a story about this or that.”
6. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
First story that wasn’t for school was about two years ago (mid-thirties). Maybe one day I will finish it too grin emoticon
7. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Read, sleep, watch tv, spend time with my family and play with my dog. If I could I would be an eccentric recluse.
8. What does your family think of your writing?
They are extremely supportive and are always bugging me for more words to whatever story I am working on. They are my biggest cheerleaders.
9. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
That I actually had a story to tell that people would be interested in reading. That blew my mind, well still does to be honest.
10. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
Only one to its completion so far. I have three or so in the works. Safe Haven has a special place in my heart. Those boys, well they have a way of digging in and not leaving.
11. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Just do it. Don’t give up, just keep going. If it makes you happy then do it. My mentor told me one thing that I try to keep in mind everytime I write a chapter. Make the characters have some conflict in each chapter. Can be in small ways or something big. Just make them grow because of whatever happens.
12. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I have received a few messages on facebook and got my first email. That was totally surreal. Biggest question has been when is book two and have I started it yet. Yes, I have and I am hoping to have it done by end of March beginning of April at the latest.
13. Do you like to create books for adults?
I like to create stories period. As long as someone likes them then I am happy.
14. What do you think makes a good story?
I think that is different for each person, personally I want something that is going to take me from reality and let me be free for a couple of hours.
15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I didn’t think like that. I had to concentrate on making it through each day, trying to look to the future was a pointless task when I wasn’t sure if I’d make it that far.
Bio:
Hi I'm Sheri Lyn. I live in Florida with the love of my life, my dog Koda a Corgi/Dwarf Chow mix. I love living here and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.
I just started my journey into the indie book world. I have books in several genres in the works. I'm an avid reader who kept dreaming of a story that wanted to be told and that's where my first book was born.
When I'm not reading or proofing, I'm at the evil day job where my sanity is tested on a daily basis. My sarcastic quips can provide a much needed break until I can return home to Koda and books, my two joys.
I hope you sign up for my newsletter for excerpts, giveaways and fun. Sign up for my newsletter at http://facebook.us11.list-manage1.com/subscribe…
Come visit me on Facebook. I love to meet new readers.
Twitter - @sherilynauthor
Website - sherilynauthor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment