Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Author Spotlight: L.Ann Marie




Interview:

1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
In college I wrote some stories that were published in the school newspaper. I loved writing because it was different than the numbers and intense information I was getting from my classes. It was a good release. I never wrote anything after that as my jobs were as far away from writing as they could be. When I needed a way to pay for insurance premiums I thought I could write a short story and maybe come close to getting the little boost I needed for that. Once I started it was like a dam released. I couldn't stop.

2. How long does it take you to write a book?
Three weeks to a month. I am extremely focused and keep at it until it's done.

3. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Intense. I have other books that need promoting and takeovers in between. It gets crazy when the characters in my head just want to be heard. Trying to balance it out with family obligations is a challenge.

4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I don't sleep much so writing at 4 or 5 in the morning isn't unusual. I also write in the bathtub. I love the technology that lets that happen for me.

5. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Life. Everywhere you look there is a story. I've lived through so much I just add my experiences to the characters and what I see and read. I am also blessed with a vast amount of useless information. The little tidbits that I throw in my books are really just useless information that I found interesting.

6. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
<laughing> Last year. I started writing in September of 2014. I rewrote the first three of the Baxter Series and the first couple of the MC series then published them on Amazon in April. I have 13 books and I'm working on an MC book right now.

7. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Spending time with my family. Engage with my friends and readers on Facebook. I love driving and my music.

8. What does your family think of your writing?

They didn't realize how many books I had written until they were on Amazon. They are proud and tell everyone about them. It's embarrassing but at the same time feels good to be thought of is such a positive way.

9. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

That people read them. <laughing again> I have this Street Team and an author partner, Barbi Barnard, that keep me smiling with their support and encouragement. Finding people that want to build each other up is an amazing feeling. When you can find a whole group of them it's a damn miracle. Everyday they bring something new strengthening that bond for us collectively. It is truly awesome.

10. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I have 5 in the Baxter Series and 8 in the MC. I have to refrain from naming my favorite book. I fall in love with every damn man I write. Also, my Street Team would go nuts if I didn't pick their favorite.

11. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Go with your heart. Put it all out there. When you leave your heart out of your book people know. The ones that matter will find you. Don't look at reviews, don't engage in negative. Keep your course and do what feels right. It isn't a race or contest so relax and be happy for yourself. You'll meet the most extraordinary people along the way that will help and point you the right way.

12. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

Oh my gosh. Everything! They want a particular guys story, they get pissed if someone dies or turns on the other characters. They love real life conversations and the loyalty and respect given when it's earned. They want to move to the towns I write about and are forever asking where they are. The funniest thing is the fighting over men. It cracks me up, they actually post threats, wars (pics of grenades and explosions) and I even had someone post an obituary for a woman suspected of trying to get with another's man. They are crazy.
I get email from people that relate to a situation or person from the books. Most notable is a woman suffering from arthritis pain. She wrote to tell me she was stopping the poor me phase of her life and was going to start living like one of my characters before she couldn't. It was heartwarming to know she was inspired by my character.

13. Do you like to create books for adults?
All my books have adult content and warnings. I write about subjects that require the mind of an adult to understand and put in perspective. I also write some kinky erotic stories so there's always that. <laughing again>

14. What do you think makes a good story?
When you can relate to a character it's a good story. Everyday conversations and emotions. Showing your main character as an ass in some chapters and how they overcome and fix things in later chapters. It makes them more believable (relatable).

15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
Get older. You would not believe how many times I have answered this question. I grew up in and out of foster care and was emancipated at 16. I had no dream of a career until I actually hit college and even then I just wanted a job. I didn't know if I would make it to the next birthday so to dream of something unattainable was a waste of time and energy. I think in care we were conditioned to just make it. There were no dreams of something we didn't see or experience. So get older.

Bio:
I live with my daughter and her family we take care of each other and give what the others need. It's a new way of living but works for all of us. I get to do homework and dinner with my grandsons and my daughter does the dreaded shopping. Win-win! I live in New Mexico where the mountains are prevalent and the scenery is beautiful. It doesn't get much better than this!
I am just starting to read MC books. There are thousands of them out there! I've read like 3....I downloaded a ton of them though. My book choices ran to King, Koontz and Rice...I'm starting to enjoy the shorter Romance books but hate when I get half a book...Blame it on the three above, they conditioned my brain for long ass books that have an ending. When I started reading romance it was Evanovich and Ashley (Love RockChicks). Now I'm into writing MC books I don't read them, when I start a new series I can catch up on all that I missed for now I enjoy being the label of being a different kind of MC than everyone else. My stories deal with hard issues head on and my alphas don't disappoint.
Email: l_ann_marie@aol.com






No comments:

Post a Comment