Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Author Spotlight S.M. Stryker

Here is our next Spotlight Author S.M. Stryker.  I have to say reading her interview answers gave me great insight to her and I think I might have to pick up one of her books and see what they are about.



S.M. Stryker - Author

Interview:
1.When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I was older than the standard. I was in my early 20’s, I was traveling from Eastern Washington to my home in Seattle. I was pregnant with my first daughter and was on my way to see my first husband that had been in a motorcycle accident after blowing a 32, and finding he was on his way to his girlfriend’s house. I thought that my life at that time and with the past of my childhood, my life would make a good story. I laugh, because at the time I would have call it ‘I’m Just Ducky’ I don’t know why, but that is what came to my head. It wasn’t until my youngest went off to college that I decided it was time.
2. How long does it take you to write a book?
It depends on the book and the characters. There have been times that I have the story down, but don’t feel as if it is complete, so I re-read, add and change until I am at peace.
3. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I tinker if the characters are not active. But when they are, I just sit and type. I let them tell their story.
4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I was thinking this yesterday…to be honest, I don’t even know who I am…As a person, I have this person that I portray, but I don’t know if that is really who I am.
5. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? 
Most of my books are from events in my life. Things that I have lived through or experienced. Others, my character tell me.
6. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I started my first book Stolen Innocence, April 2014. I was 52.
7. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
That’s a hard one, because since I started to write, that is all I want to do. But, I like the beach, fishing, camping, I spend a lot of time with my grandchildren, girls and husband…not the original husband either. I have been married to my 2nd husband for almost 29 years now.
8. What does your family think of your writing?
They all support me. Although they haven’t read my books…to personal for them about my past. I made sure before I published my first book they wouldn’t have a problem with it and its content because it was about my personal events. If they would have had an issue, it would have never been published.
9. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
I originally stated to write Stolen as a healing process. I found I had a voice and I wanted to let everyone/anyone that had experience what I had gone though that you can survive, that life gets better when you least expect it.
10. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? 
I have written 6 books and I am writing my 7th and 8th. I like all my books for different reasons, but Anchored to Love made me cry more and harder than any of my other books that I have written.
11. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Write every day, even if it is deleted late. Just write, let the characters tell their story, don’t force it. If you come to a block, TBD it and come back to it later. Write a different part that is on your brain.
12. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
Yes, several have told me how much this book helped them in their struggles. Others, just how much they love my books and can’t wait for the next one to come out.
13. Do you like to create books for adults?
Yes, although I have been asked to write a child’s book. I would really have to think about that first…such little minds. They need to be stimulated.
14. What do you think makes a good story?
A good storyline, characters that you can fall in love with. They don’t have to be good looking, but lovable. Something where you never want to lose them as friends.
15. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? 
The usual. At first I wanted to be a cop, but my mother told me that wasn’t something that a girl does. She was very old school. Then I started to model and wanted to go more into that, but again was told that it wouldn’t last…Ultimately, I got married young to escape my abuser and never finished college. Became a mother and mortgage broker and then a writer.



Bio:
Shelly (SM) married her husband 28 years ago. It was important to her to be able to stay at home to raise their four daughters.

She wasn't an avid reader, but picked up a book a few years back and it made her re-think about writing, more as a healing process than anything else.

Always wanting to write a story about her life, well at least part of it. She knew it would make a great story...or soap opera, but kids and sports and work and and and. She just never made the time to write. As she got older and her girls grew and left home, she started to rethink the idea of writing again.

Deciding not to put it off any longer, in 2014 she emailed a few of her favorite authors that gave her some very good advice. A year and a half ago she started. It was a labor of love; this was part of her, part of what she lived through as a child and older, it was a story that was all too common of one.

Through lots of tears, she wrote her first book that had a large part of her life in the story, that book was Stolen Innocence. Now she finds that she has to write, this is her outlet her sanctuary, and in every book, she writes there is always part of her life written into it.
When not writing, she is with her photographer husband or with her children and grand kids. She loves the outdoors and being one with nature.

I hope you enjoy her story.



https://www.facebook.com/Author.S.M.Stryker/?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment