Friday, January 22, 2016

Author Spotlight: Layla Stevens


Interview:

1.When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I was actually going through chemo. I found out in March of 2014 that I had cancer. I had read so many books at this point, that I was like hell, this looks easy I can do this. Boy was I wrong. I thought you honestly just wrote it, and it was magically accepted into book stores, but that is not how it works. There is a lot of behind the scenes work first. I may never get in a book store, but hey I love my stories and I'm proud of each one.

2.How long does it take you to write a book?
Well, to be honest I write multiple books at one time. So I flip flop. But I'd say from start to finish 6 months is a good time span for me. Some come out sooner, but that is because I was working on them while writing on the previous one.

3.What is your work schedule like when you're writing? 
I actually don't work, I'm a three time cancer patient so all my free time is spent going to doctors appointments. I write in the wee hours of the morning, when the rest of the world is sleeping.

4.What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
OH my gosh, I love post it notes. I have them everywhere. It's like a sea of multi-colored rainbow goodness. I can never have enough. I buy them every single time I'm in the store. I have them in every color, shape, and size.

5.Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
To be honest most of my books are based on true stories. I write as a way to heal. If you know me, you know I'm an open book. I've never been ashamed of my past, I speak open about my past. I will not let my demons get the better of me any longer. They held me down for too long. As my Motto says "Never let your fear be bigger than your Faith." Every book I write will have some mention of Faith in it. Because I Believe you have to have FAITH in yourself . if you don't believe in yourself NO-ONE else will either.

6.When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I wrote my first book in 2014 and I was 34 years old

7.What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love to color, I am addicted to the adult coloring books, they are fantastic, but I wont lie, I have coloring books that aren't adult

8.What does your family think of your writing?
My mom is my #1 fan, she supports me 100%. I shocked the rest of my family when I told them I was going to be an author, because I was reading a book, never thought I'd write one

9.What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
I have learned to trust myself. To listen to what my head and heart is telling me, and to write what I want to write regardless what people want me to write. I am not your typical cookie cutter author. I'm not afraid to step outside of the box. I will take risks, and I will write about sensitive subjects such as LBGT, I will write about rape, I will write about drug use, I will write abuse. WHY do you ask? Because those are all real issues. And I'm a real person. I've never been one to care what people think about me. I like being different.

10.How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I have written 7 so far some are in anthologies. My favorite book I've written is Love Thyself

11.Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
The best advice I can give is Write for you, don't write for anyone else. Write what you want. Ask Questions, don't be afraid to ask questions, I'm always available. I know I'm a big fish but I will answer any question I can. And above all Have faith in your writing because if you don't the readers wont either.

12.Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
Yes, I do actually, I actually text message some of my readers daily. I'm a social media Hoe, I love talking to my fans
.
13.Do you like to create books for adults?
Yes, right now all my books are for the 18 and older crowd. Now if a younger person reads it would they understand it yes, but I cuss a lot because I have no filter. I do mark my books with Warnings for Adults ONLY

14.What do you think makes a good story?
I want to feel like I'm part of the story. I want to be captivated in the book. i read all genres, so if it can catch my attention and has a good plot then I'll read it.
15.As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be a country music singer. I loved to sing. But, I'm scared to death to stand up in front of people and speak, so singing is out the window.

Bio:

I was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma but moved to Pensacola, Florida in 1996. I have a huge family who I shocked them when I told them I was writing my first book. I have had a love a reading since I was young. Reading has always been my escape. I can read and be a princess or a warrior. Reading for me was always something magical. And I hope to pass that on to you all.

I am blessed to be the mom of a little girl named Sage who is the light of my life. {I call her Olga, and she hates it} I did not give birth to her but I choose her.

I am blessed with great friends who have always had my back. I have a lot to learn in this world of writing but, so far I am enjoying the ride. I have a fantastic Four that are my true loves. No names will be mentioned as they know who they are. I Love you all very much. {I didn't included alters in that comment}.

I'm very opinionated and have no filter. I speak my mind without thinking of the consequences. Does this get me in Trouble? Yes it does every single day. But I will not change. I march to my own beat. My mom says that I can be a one man band.
I am always willing to help out anyone who is in need all you have to do is ask. I never knew that writing a book would show me so much about myself. I have learned so much in a short amount of time. And I can't wait to learn more.


Connect with Layla:

Instagram @authorlayla
Pintrest authorlayla
Google + Layla Stevens
Pizap Layla.stevens.author@gmail.com
Tumblir @authorlayla
Twitter @authorlayla
Email Layla.Stevens.author@gmail.com

Like page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Layla-Stevens/697947530238039

Amazon page
http://www.amazon.com/Layla-Stevens/e/B00MRB0TTM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Buy Links Broken Love & Forever Bound
Us http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MR3HQZ0

Goodreads
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18773845-broken-love-and-forever-bound

Buy Links for Damaged Love Book 2
http://www.amazon.com/Damaged-Love-Bound-Book-2-ebook/dp/B00WVO0T1I/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443374168&sr=1-1&keywords=damaged+love+layla+stevens

Goodreads for Damaged Love Book 2
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25089097-damaged-love?from_search=true&search_version=service

Goodreads for Love Thyself
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26228725-love-thyself?from_search=true&search_version=service

Goodreads for Beautiful Escape Volume Two {Inspirational Anthology}
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25824877-this-beautiful-escape-2?from_search=true&search_version=service

Goodreads link for Claiming Claire
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28196500-claiming-claire?from_search=true&search_version=service

Tease Me
http://www.amazon.com/Tease-Me-Ella-Emerson-ebook/dp/B019EZMCDE/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450726213&sr=1-4&keywords=layla+stevens


Mouth Anthology
http://www.amazon.com/MOUTH-Steamy-Anthology-Christy-Dilg-ebook/dp/B0163TRR8O/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450726213&sr=1-5&keywords=layla+stevens

This Beautiful Escape Volume Two {Believing in Faith}
http://www.amazon.com/This-Beautiful-Escape-Two-Melissa-ebook/dp/B017WLDDIK/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450726213&sr=1-8&keywords=layla+stevens

If you would like to Join Layla Stevens Street-team please send request to
https://www.facebook.com/groups/layla.stevens.author/


Plague
My new addiction http://plag.com/app/




















No comments:

Post a Comment