Sunday, January 10, 2016

Spotlight: Author Isobelle Cate

 So here is our first of many spotlights this year.  Take some time and get to know Isobelle Cate a little better.






When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I think subconsciously I always wanted to be a writer. I loved reading mysteries and mythology. I started writing when I was 14 in diaries. When I started reading teen romance I thought I’d give it a try. However, I only became published in 2013.

How long does it take you to write a book?

My first novella was done in two weekends. The first two books of the Cynn Cruors Bloodline series were done almost simultaneously, around three to four months. Nowadays, it’s taken longer because of day job commitments. I’d like to be able to write a book again in that short span of time, however, I’ve come to realize that if I do that, the trajectory of how I want the story to go might become forced. So I’m trying to avoid that.
What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
When I am able to squeeze in some time during the week, I start writing at around 10pm and finish around midnight or 1am. During the weekends, I try to start writing by 6:30 or 7am and write until the next day. Yup, unhealthy I know right? But if Calliope beckons, I can’t make her wait.
What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I think it’s the kind of drink or drinks I have. I’ll have coffee most of the time, then I’ll have a glass of Apothic Red waiting at the side. Either that or when it gets too cold, I’ll have a dram of single malt. Oh and I have the entire dining room table to myself. I need that much space to write even if I sit on one side. Ha!
Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
I think many writers will tell you that there is a voice that whispers in your ear. I’d agree. A lot of times, inspiration just happens because there’s something nagging at you, something that you want to read but can’t find. That’s how it is for me. For my first novella, Love in her Dreams, the idea came from visiting Scotland for the second time. For the Cynn Cruors Bloodline, it was a ‘what if’ question I posed while walking in the park. As for the information, I research. A lot. I cannot stress it enough. If you don’t research and you don’t know what you’re talking about, someone who is more knowledgeable about the subject will see through the holes in your story and will not want to read your work anymore. Sure it’s just one reader, but that’s one reader too many.
When did you write your first book and how old were you?
Unpublished? When I was 14. Published? When I became immortal. Ha! ;-)
What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I read the books of my favorite authors. I make swag for upcoming author signings. Watch the telly. I also look forward to spending time with my family when we can be all together. It goes without saying that I go on FB and try to spread the word of my books as much as I can without being banned.

What does your family think of your writing?
Honestly? I hid it from them. I’m talking about my relatives. As for my husband and son, they find it amazing that I’m able to write as much as I have done. They have been very supportive of what I do.
What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
That I am able to write about different male characters. I didn’t think I’d be able to write from their point of view, or be able to get a glimpse of what they feel or how they act towards a woman destined for them. It’s interesting to see how a female author tackles a male character’s viewpoint as opposed to a male author tackling the same thing. From what I have noticed, and this is just my personal opinion, male writers go direct to the point. It’s something I should learn and try to adopt when writing my male character’s point of view.
How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written about eleven books, from novels, novellas, and novelettes. I’m in the middle of writing five stories at the moment (Crazy, I know!). At the moment, my favourite would probably be My Haven, My Midnight. This is the 5th book of the Cynn Cruors Bloodline series.  Then again, all of them have a special place in my heart.
Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
·         Read as much as you can about the genre you want to write in.
·         Learn from your favourite authors for they also learned from their favourite writers.
·         You need to research. Research does not equate to historical facts alone. It also extends to the places you want to write about and becomes the setting of your stories, or the clothes that your characters wear. It helps with the descriptions you need to make your story multifaceted and more interesting. Be a storyteller, not just a writer.
·         Read your own work before sending it to your editor. Leaving it to the editor to fix your story for you is just plain lazy and readers will pick up on that. You know your story more and the editor is there to assist you. Not write your story for you. 
Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I do on occasion when they messages through email or FB. They say how they like the stories that I craft and when the next book will be. It is a privilege to be able to bring joy to readers when they say how much they enjoy the stories I write.
Do you like to create books for adults?
Yes I do. I write steamy romance and historical fiction too.
What do you think makes a good story?
Multifaceted characters, conflict, tight writing, appeals to a reader’s mind and heart, and a unique twist to the plot to name a few. There are many factors and readers will have their own criteria. The four listed are just some of what I look for as a reader.
As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
To be a lawyer.

Book Links:

Rapture at Midnight: (Cynn Cruors Bloodline, Book 1)

Forever at Midnight (Cynn Cruors Bloodline, Book 2)

Midnight’s Atonement (Cynn Cruors Bloodline, Book 3)

Midnight’s Fate (Cynn Cruors Bloodline, Book 4)

My Haven, My Midnight (Cynn Cruors Bloodline, Book 5): 

Be Mine (Second Chances series, Book 1)

You and I (Second Chances series, Book 2)

 Standalone

Dying to Live

Treagar's Redemption (Novella): 


No comments:

Post a Comment